How to share data on MTN, Glo, Airtel & 9mobile
A few years ago, Nigerian mobile telecommunication networks implemented a system allowing users to transfer their data plan from one number to another without stress. The good news is that no matter the mobile network that you are using, you can still share your data with your family and friends.
We have 4 major mobile telecommunication networks in Nigeria, and I will show you how you can easily share or receive data from family and friends on MTN, Glo, Airtel & 9mobile.
Advantages of data share
An average Nigerian now owns an Android phone, and without a data connection, the purpose of owning an Android phone will be defeated. Thanks to the Nigerian Telcoms for allowing us to share and receive data easily.
- One data subscription multiple connections: In Nigeria, having multiple sim cards, even from the same network, is normal for some reasons. With the help of data share services, you can now pay for one subscription and share it with other SIMs.
- When you cant subscribe, a friend can help: When you are not close to where you can get a recharge card or don’t have money in your account to recharge but need to connect to the internet. All you can do is give your friends or family a call and ask them to help share data with you.
- When your girlfriends ask you for money for data, share your data with her and save yourself the stress of sending money urgent 2K or 5k. There are more benefits, but I will stop here as we proceed with the guide on sharing data on MTN, Glo, Airtel & 9mobile.
How to share data on MTN
MTN is the biggest mobile telecommunication network in Nigeria, with millions of subscribers. Regarding data subscriptions, they are king while other network follows. However, if you want to learn how to share your MTN data with family and friends, you are at the right place at the right time.
There are different methods to share MTN data from one line to the other but remember you cannot share MTN to Airtel users or Glo users. Data transfer only works between the same network, MTN -MTN, GLO – GLO, and Airtel – Airtel. Follow the instructions below to share your data on MTN.
To share MTN data using USSD
- Dial *131*7# on your phone’s caller app.
- Select option 1: Transfer from data balance.
- Enter the recipient’s phone number.
- Select the amount of data to send.
- Select option 1: Confirm the transaction.
To share MTN data through SMS
- Open your message app.
- Type “Transfer” followed by friend’s number followed by data amount. For example, Transfer 08130303300 1000.
- Send a message to 131.
- You will receive a confirmation message if your data transfer is successful.
To share data using the MyMTN app.
- Login to your MyMTN mobile app. You can download the app here and register your details if you don’t have the app.
- On the app’s homepage, click on the “Share” option.
- You will be shown data and airtime sharing options. Select “Data”.
- Enter the amount of data you wish to share and the recipient’s phone number.
- Select “Proceed.”
GLO Data Share
This list will not be complete without mentioning GLO, which named itself “the grand master of data” in Nigeria. Glo is also one of the biggest mobile data providers in Nigeria, with millions of subscribers. The good news is that sharing Glo data is different and stress-free.
However, there is something I would like you to understand about GLO data share. It works differently from MTN. With Glo, you can link someone to use your data and not just send some percentage of data to others.
Example: When you subscribe to Glo monthly data plan and link your friends or any of your family friends to use your data. The person will have access to your data till you finish it, while MTN only allows you to share between 500MP -1GB per day for regular users unless you migrate to MTN SME data, that way, you can share more.
Glo allows you to share data in 3 ways: the direct Glo data code, the regular USSD, or SMS. To share data via the direct code, follow the steps below.
- Dial *127*01* followed by the recipient’s phone number. For example, *127*01*07130300330#.
- Press send.
To share data via the regular USSD
- Dial *777#.
- Select option 1, which is “Data.”
- Select option 2, which is “Share data plan.”
- Choose option 1, which is “Share.”
- Enter the recipient’s phone number and send.
You will receive a confirmation message that your data share has been successful.
To share data via SMS
- Enter your messaging app.
- Type “Share,” followed by the recipient’s number.
- Send to 127
In contrast to the other network providers listed, sharing data using these Glo codes lets the recipient use your data for as long as they wish until you drop them from the plan. the methods listed below to get rid of them and stop sharing data:
- Dial *127*01*<recipient’s number>#.
- Enter your messaging app.
- Type “Remove” followed by their number.
- Send to 127.
Airtel Data Share
Airtel is not doing bad when it comes to fast and reliable data plans, and they also allow their subscribers to share their data plans with other Aitel mobile users. At a point, you might desire to send data or receive airtel data from other users but will not remember how to share data on Airtel. Read carefully if you wish to learn how to share your Airtel data plan with others.
The Airtel Data Share, sometimes referred to as the Me2U, allows for data sharing on the Airtel network. The procedures listed below can be used to access the Me2U service.
- Dial *141#.
- Select the “Share Data” option. It’s option 8 on the list.
- Select option 4, which is the “Data Me2U”.
- Select “Enter from existing balance.”
- Enter the recipient’s number and the amount of data to send.
9Mobile data share (Etisalat)
I haven’t used this network send they turned from Etisalat to 9Mobile a few years ago. However, I know that many Nigerian subscribers are still happy with their fast internet data connectivity. However, you can still share your 9Mobile data plans with other 9Mobile users without any stress.
Data sharing with 9Mobile users requires a PIN, and the default PIN for all users is 0000. To use this PIN, though, you must modify it. Dial 247default PIN*new PIN# to modify your PIN. If this is successful, you will receive a confirmation message.
To transfer data
- Dial *229* followed by your new PIN, data amount, and recipient’s number, then send. For example, *229*1234*1000*07130300330#.
- You will receive a confirmation message if successful.
More posts to read:
- MTN Data Plans 2022 (Full packages and subscription codes)
- MTN 200 For 1GB data plan (2021)
- MTN Data Share services (Complete Guide)
- Cheapest data plan on MTN, Airtel SME Data 2021 Reloaded